Search For More Scary Books

Google

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Dracula

Dracula by Bram Stoker was the first book in which I encountered the essence of spine tinglers, where you aren't shoved into the blood and gore, but rather, you're seduced by something that's charming, yet there's an obvious harmfulness to it. This was the first book in which I saw how perverse temptation mingled with an underlying sexuality gave this book a wonderful spine tingle-ness to it.

Later, as I got older and found out that the book was actually based on a real person, Vlad the Impaler, the real Count Dracula, knowing this just made Dracula the ultimate vampire novel. If you read this, you will get spooky castles in foreign countries, you will get lovely, gothic women and intriguing, evil characters, and you will have a battle between good and evil.

I will let you know that because of this book, I couldn't sleep without covers over my neck, and on those summer nights where I keep the windows open to let in a breeze, I insist on having the covers on me, no matter how stifling it can get.

No comments: